We discovered a handy little tip for the snipping tool over at Microsoft.
If you have ever wanted to ‘snip’ the Start Menu or capture a drop down item list then just follow these simple steps
1) Start the Snipping Tool
2) Press ‘Esc’ or click the Cancel button in the tool to cancel the current snip or capture
3) Open the Start Menu or the drop down list you wish to capture
4) Now the important step, press the CTRL + Prnt Scrn keys simultaneously
5) You will notice that your screen goes into ‘snip’ mode i.e. it greys out, yet the menu or drop down still appears
6) Now you can snip away capturing your image as normal
It may seem counter-intuitive to use the CTRL + Prnt Scrn keys as this action will normally copy a screen shot to the clipboard but of course you will still have to crop/edit that image in an image processing tool.
This method allows you to crop the image straight away and then of course have all of the edit functionality of the Snipping Tool itself.